Granite counter tops can be a great way to add value and a dramatic edge to your home. They look chic and elegant and have an opulence about them that packs a lot of taste. They are used in many homes in different areas. Most people associate granite counter tops with the kitchen. Whilst it is true that most of these counter tops are found in the kitchen there are other areas in your home that can do with a touch of granite. Bathroom counter tops can be given a spruced up and expensive look by adding granite counter tops. You can also use these tops on window sills, tables ( both in door and out ) and above fire places. But there are pros and cons to using granite that you have to consider before installing them in your home.
Pros of Granite Counter Tops
There a quite a few persuasive pros for installing these beautiful counter tops:
1. They look stylish and add value to your home
2. They can add a different dimension to your home that differs from the ordinary kind of counter or table top that most homes are equipped with.
3. They are very hygienic counter tops. Because they lack the grooves of tiles where germs can get stuck in the grouting, they provide one surface to clean.
4. They are easy to clean. A mild detergent and some water can rid the tops of any germs.
5. Because granite is a natural and hard rock, they are resistant to the heat of pans and you don’t need to worry about burning the surface or finding a grille or cutting board to put your hot pan or pot on.
However, there are also a few cons to using granite counter tops:
- They are costly to install.
- Granite counter tops are heavy. They need strong surfaces to keep them up so your cabinets underneath need to be well made.
- They are a natural rock and no two slabs are the same so whilst this can add some nice variation to the counters in your kitchen, it can also disturb a clean and even line since each piece which may be of the same color, will have different vein markings.
Now you are armed with the information you need to make the decision as to whether granite counter tops are for you. You have to consider not only the pros and cons. You also need to take a look at the way in which your home is styled and decorated. Granite counter tops make a very bold statement. If you are trying to keep your home in muted hues and modern edged looks, these counter tops may not be for you.
Schedule Your Free Estimate Below!